The Cane Corso is a fantastic breed of protection dog, which uses its power and strength to ensure that you are kept safe. These dogs need an owner that knows what they’re doing, as they require a great deal of care and attention- however the rewards for your hard work are unrivalled. A Cane Corso is an incredibly loyal dog that dedicates itself towards improving your security, and they are known for taking their job incredibly seriously. This magnificent breed of dog comes along with a fascinating history that only serves to reinforce the fact that they are excellent protection dogs. We’re here at Protection Dogs to run you through a brief history of the Cane Corso, so that you know the story behind your purchase.
- Let’s start our journey way back at the time of the Romans, who were famous for using a breed of attack dogs throughout their warfare. These canines were known as canis pugnax, and were feared by opposing armies due to their strength and ferocity. The Cane Corso is a direct descendant from canis pugnax- which translates to “catch dog”.
- Canis pugnax was then used to guard property livestock and was also used with cattle and pigs- hence the name “catch dog.” The breed became renowned for its protection of owners and dedication to its job, and they soon became very popular throughout Italy.
- But in the 20th Century life had changed throughout Italy and the breed became rare. Back in the 1970’s it was actually saved from complete extinction by a group of enthusiasts.
- In 1994, the bread of Cane Corso was officially accepted as the 14th Italian breed in Italy, and was recognised worldwide only as recently as 2007.
- The Cane Corso is also known as the “Italian Mastiff” due to its rich Italian history, and it will be forever known as a companion of the Italian population.
- The name Cane Corso means “guardian” and “protector”- which tells you all need to know about its effectiveness as a protection dog.